Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sometimes a Girl Just Has to Have Fun!

Last night I had a terrible sinus headache (I can predict the weather! It was my "it's going to rain/snow headache and sure enough it rained today.) but I didn't want to just veg on the couch feeling sorry for myself. My friend Barbara and I are going to get together soon for a paper making day. One of the things we are going to make is Valentines so I guess I had Valentine's Day on my mind. I quickly grabbed a few things and before I knew it, my head hurt less and I had made eight ATCs! The experience also reminded me of teaching in Georgia where supplies are extremely limited. I'm always amazed at what my students there create as opposed to my students in the States who often want to go shopping to fix a problem. Sometimes having a limited number of supplies and options create the best results. Also creating something that is just meant to brighten someone's day can really jump start your creativity. For me creating something that is just for fun gets my brain working. While making these ATCs, I wrote down or quickly sketched ideas for other more serious projects. I was focused on making the ATCs and didn't feel like acting on any of my ideas but I know the importance of getting those ideas down when they happen. This morning when I looked at my notes and sketches, I was instantly excited and got right to work.

For those of you who have written to me about being stuck, unmotivated, in a creative funk or just feeling your muse has left you. Try some play! Nothing serious and make something for someone else. Be open and see what happens. By the way, I still cannot believe that at one time I seriously thought I could "never" make something 2.5" by 3.5" because I love making them!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your
    blog and look forward to new updates.
    my webpage :: how to earn lots of money

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.