Friday, January 4, 2013

Sea of Change

No revolution in outer things is possible without prior revolution in one's inner way of being. Whatever change you aspire to...must be preceded by a change in heart. -I Ching Hexagram 49

I am not accomplishing much today. Trying to keep my distraught granddog happy as we await the arrive of "Fred" (I've been calling him this since my son and daughter-in-law have not settled on a name). I've waited a long time to be a grandma! He certainly is taking his time getting here. Sang has been at the hospital since 11 last night. One of things that I have been doing today is tidying up my office. It's this mindless busy work that often gets my brain engaged.

I have been thinking a great deal lately about patterns- those in my life as well as family and friends. Perhaps we don't have to keep repeating our mistakes until we get them right. Tuli Kupferberg put it so well, "When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge." Perhaps we can recognize our way out of patterns rather then repeat our way out of them. I know I want to be a healthy, happy person so change is needed.

David Campbell said that "discipline is remembering what you want." What do you want that inspires your work? When I think about discipline I realize that discipline can be obtained by punishment, chastising and coercion or by consistent guidance and positive reinforcement. When I was younger, I use to motivate myself by waiting until the last minute before a deadline, deliberately creating stressful crisis energy to get myself going. Now I develop a plan and a time line. I tend to get things done sooner than later. It is a much healthier and gentler approach, but it took time, awareness and effort to make it happen.

Patti Digh also watched patterns and came up with six practices for being mindful and living intentionally. I wrote them in my journal a couple of years ago. Thankfully I found them again today when I was actually searching for something else. Isn't life grand when that happens!  They are now on a post-it note on my computer as a constant reminder:

Intensity: Say yes
Inclusion: Be generous
Integrity: Speak up
Intimacy: Love more
Intuition: Trust yourself
Intention: Slow down

Live fully!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this significant post. I have followed your blog for a couple of years as well as the blogs of others. This post resonates with me and if you don't mind, I will post the same comments from Patti that inspire you on several places in my work/life space as a reminder of what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I'm touched. Thank you. Next by all means share Patti's words. Hugs, Karen

      Delete
  2. Hope "Fred" shows up soon and let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to wait until i was 63 to be a grandma to "Cahchinski" our unnamed granddaughter until after birth. It will change your life. I will be a Babcia one more time on the 14th to "number 2". This time I get to be there. Congratulations, Karen! A very mindful post.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.