Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reworking A Quilt

You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. This is not an easy struggle. Indeed, it may be the most difficult task in the world, for opening the door to your own life is, in the end, more difficult than opening the door to the mysteries of the universe. --Daisaku Ikeda

When traveling I need to have handwork especially if I am a passenger in a car but the trip to my parents' home shortly after Christmas was not planned. However, I had already begun my annual end-of-the-year assessment and clean out. This year I definitely want to deal with some of my older work. While in Maine in 2009, I made this quilt during a visit with my friend Elizabeth Cherry Owen. We would sit together in the evening and watch movies and I would work on it. It's called "Connections." If you want to know my thoughts on it, visit my April 23, 2009 blog post. I didn't plan the quilt. It never felt finished so it became my road trip handwork. I started doing embroidery then added beads. Again I didn't plan any of it just allowed myself to flow from one section to the next. I am much happier! Now I really have to replace my camera as my son's camera definitely doesn't capture color as well as my dead Cannon. (I bought it for him so I only have myself to blame.) Do you ever revisit your work and change it? I don't so this was a new experience for me.

4 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. What size is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Have been known to change a piece,,, have several layers of UFO pieces I just could not make final decisions on.. but will get to them... beads no beads, color, bright or blending, what is the message I want to convey... all sorts of questions,, They will get answered another day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Another day is sometimes the best answer! Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.