Friday, January 18, 2013

Birthing the Crone

There are days when I look in the mirror and think, "Who is that?" For the most part, I like getting older. I am becoming more comfortable in my skin and I care less and less what others think of me. I laugh loud and often! I say what I mean and I mean what I say. That said, I still have to deal with not being able to do all that I did when I was younger. Masks have been my things for a long time  so it seemed perfect to make one that deals with aging. She's not done yet but I wanted to share what I have been working oon  and to accept Nina-Marie Sayre's offer to join in on her Off the Wall Fridays challenge. What a great way to create support and accountability!

I also want to thank Pride of the Prairie Quilters for once again inviting me to share and warming embracing me. What a fabulous group of women! For the first time in my twenty-five years of being involved with quilt guilds, I saw a guild with multiple people running for board offices because they wanted to be involved and make a difference. It was amazing as was their show and share.


12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece! I'm right there with you...looking in that mirror and wondering about the person I see there. What else are you planning on doing to this piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm thinking about putting quotes in her hair on women and aging. Thoughts?

      Delete
  2. Karen, it is good to have a sense of humor as we get older, (and I am very much older than I have ever been) we need it to have the guts to move on. I like the Crone. She is just under the skin of all of us. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great! Not sure it needs much else. She has character already that could easily be deminished. If the quilting is writing, I would make it disappear from a distance...something to discover when close.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I was thinking about writing the quotes. Thoughts?

      Delete
  4. Being a crone is so liberating! I can love my older body as it is and know that aging is part of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep aging is a part of life. Now just have to make sure to live it to the fullest. Hugs, Karen

      Delete
  5. You crone is great! I feel better about my graying hair already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Karen - I think that this may be the best project you have ever done. I just love the crone! And yes, I truly can identify with the aging stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.