Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring Back, Fall Forward

I was in the quilt shop yesterday looking for fabrics for a quilt that I will not be able to share with you (more on that in a minute). There were a group of three women who were complaining loudly to anyone who would listen (and those of us who did not) about Day Light Saving Time occurring. I for one like the idea of it being lighter at night. I am very much like a sunflower which follows the sun trying to catch every available ray of sun. I wonder why these women seemed to need to complain for a good 20 minutes. Yes, I know losing an hour of sleep is not easy for some. I don't remember how to change the clock in my car.  However, this is a sign of winter ending and I am going to rejoice and dig out the car manual.  I am also thankful that after two extremely long winters, this one promises an early spring. The maple trees are budding two weeks early! By the way, this is another thing we can thank Benjamin Franklin and it also saves energy.

Now back to my quilt. I have tried to understand the reasoning of not sharing quilts for exhibition for years and I am still no closer. When I talk with my art friends about this subject, they simply look at me like I am from another planet. They don't get it either.  All I can say is that if I want to play, I must play by the rules so I won't be showing you anything concerning my Memories of My Childhood quilt.

And thanks to Marti for setting me straight that my ATC has a martini glass. Learned something new.

I can share with you that I signed up for the 4 x 6 2 exchange through the Art House Co-op. It was free and since I love making postcards, I thought it would be fun. You make a piece of 4" x 6" art, send it in with a SASE and they send you a 4" x 6" piece of art. I decided to send in one of the postcards I made for the Postmark'd Art group exchange this round. The theme was quotes and I chose the Chinese proverb, "A bird does not sing because it has a answer, it sings because it has a song." I'll share what I get in return. Now it's backing to appliqueing for me. Enjoy this glorious day! I am.

4 comments:

  1. Karen, most exhibitions will let you share but just on your web site. The problem anymore is that it is easy for someone to take your images off your site and put them out into the world. Do I sense a Quilt National entry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. This is an exhibition in Houston. I'm definitely having a "what was I thinking' moment.

      Delete
  2. I'm right with you on the not sharing until the final unveiling, Karen. For me, I think it's because I don't want someone's comment to change the way I am thinking and feeling about a quilt until it's so far along that I feel safe. I also think that I'm a little superstitious about the project getting 'jinxed'. So, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I really don't mind sharing. This exhibition forbids it. I'm not sure how much others influence me anymore. I have a pretty clear vision as to what I want to accomplish. Should be interesting to see what happens--if it gets accepted or not. Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.