Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pushing Yourself to Try What Isn't Easy

It's interesting to be in the "student mode" again. I've returned to ceramics/pottery after a month's break and in many ways feel as if I am starting all over again. Ugh. I know that the only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice. I also have to work at silencing the voice inside my head that keeps telling me I'm never going to be any good on the wheel. This comes from a teacher who told me that I needed to give up pottery. "You will never be any good."  At the time, I was living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the class was at LSU and we were using kick wheels. I was not very coordinated (not sure I still am) but she was one of the most discouraging teachers I have ever experienced. I'm still amazed that I made it through the entire semester. Anyway, hand building and specially being able to make masks and the wonderful community at Clay Space are keeping me going. I am determined!

I know that when you push yourself to try something that isn't easy is when you gain the greatest reward and satisfaction in the end. I've noticed in my teaching that adults seem to think that taking on a new skill should not take time and effort and yet I believe that doing new things keeps us young and interesting. I call it "putting stretch marks on your comfort zone." How have you pushed on your comfort zone lately? Have any plans to do so in the future?

2 comments:

  1. ohhh this is so interesting! Would love it if you would link up with Off the Wall Friday since so many of us seem to create just in our own little safe boxes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina, Thanks for the invite. I'll give it a try. Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.