Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sculpture and Collage

Last night I helped load "Don," the gas kiln at ClaySpace. My torso is finally going to be fired! I am so excited. Today I will be spending the entire day at ClaySpace learning all about firing in a gas kiln, playing with clay and hanging out with some truly incredible people. I won't be able to see my torso again until Friday when the kiln will be cool enough to open. I must trust the kiln gods to protect her and everything else in the kiln. I purchased a matte black glaze and have no idea if or how it will ultimately look. For me, it is like being a kid again on Christmas Eve.

Once all the pieces are out, I will have to work on putting the white crow that sits on the shoulders together. Since some broke the crow, this will present another interesting challenge/experience for me. I will need to also attach the wings I made. I view all of this as a learning experience. And while I would hate for anything bad to happen, I know that I can make it. Hopefully my next piece will be even better.

For my second collage, I painted tissue paper and interfacing and added them to a commercial Ricky Tims fabric and topped it with a piece of paper. I mounted the collage on a black painted canvas. Definitely want to continue playing in this direction. The collage is 7" w x 5" h and mounted on a 8" x 10" canvas. I like the juxtaposition of the shiny black background and the collage. My youngest son does not. He thinks it should be matte. It was fun! I already know what I will be doing next Monday night.

Off to learn and play! Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.