Monday, June 4, 2012

This I Believe--Perception

Wow! I never would have thought my post on balance would cause such strong emotions. I am not "telling" anyone what to do. I wouldn't want that job even if it was available. I am simply sharing my thoughts and journey. Personally when something brings up strong emotions in me I try to pause and understand why. For all of you who sent words of appreciation, thank you.

I do stand by my belief that we create our own reality. Our perceptual positions determine how we view things. I cannot think of anyone who has said something better about perception than actress Shelly Winters: "I think on-stage nudity is disgusting, shameful and damaging to all things American. But if I were twenty-two with a great body, it would be artistic, tasteful, patriotic and a progressive religious experience."

I am always saddened when I hear people express the belief that genes, family, education, and environment have predetermined their destiny. They don't believe that change is possible. I think this is what Henry David Thoreau was describing when he said "lives of quiet desperation."

I am a strong believer in conscious intention. I've learned that I have to take chances and let go of things, people and thinking that hold me back. It took a leap of faith to get on an airplane, travel a third of the world away with no idea what would happen next. I am so glad that I felt the fear and did it anyway. It changed my life for the better.  I choose to do things that frighten me and the more I do things the less frightening the experience becomes. I call it "putting stretch marks on my comfort zone." As a matter of fact, if I go too long without doing something that scares me, I force myself even if it is something like finally doing my colonoscopy (thankfully don't have to do that again for another 10 years).

Many people love to talk about something they would like to do or create. They read books, collect supplies, discuss it with friends, admire people who actually do it, but they never actually do it. And that's okay. It's just not me and it's not conscious intention in my book either.

I love to play with intention. Yesterday I decided I was going to find a penny while out running errands. I even told my husband my plan. Before leaving the house, I sat in my car and visualized a penny. I even said out loud, "I am going to find a penny." Of course, I promptly forgot about the penny as I focused on accomplishing my errands. As I was going to my car after my last errand, I remembered my intention and there before me one the ground wasn't a penny but a dime! Now I know some will think and probably tell me that my intention didn't work. Personally, I think the universe is telling me to think bigger and I plan to listen. How's that for an attitude which, of course, is a whole other thing.

Look closely at the present you are constructing: 
it should look like the future you are dreaming.  -Alice Walker




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.