Friday, December 21, 2012

When Doubt Creeps In

I'll admit that the entire time I was needle felting (single needle, punched by hand), I just wasn't sure I liked it. I wasn't sure I wasn't taking a perfectly nice looking silk scarf and ruining it. Then my husband commented how he really didn't like it and I had a moment of panic. Has this happened to you?

Galileo called self-doubt "the father of all invention." I've thought a lot about self-doubt having experienced often and watched what it has done to other people in my life. Self-doubt that doesn't lead to decision or action is ultimately self-defeating, and creates a numbing negativity. Whereas self-doubt that leads to resolution of the doubts can be a remarkable source of energy and creativity.

My goal was to create an organic piece of art for a friend to wear. These are not my colors. They are hers. I think the colors are part of the reason my husband does not like it. I learned long ago that I can take into consideration what other people think but I don't have to act on it especially if it does not ring true to me. I wasn't making the scarf for my husband. While I value his opinion, I pressed on and finished the scarf.

I didn't think about how the felting would make the scarf feel and was pleasantly surprised to find that it feels divine. I can't stop petting it.  I used mostly silk but added some wool and some unknown content fibers. There is bits of silver thread thrown in too to give it a little sparkle. It looks better in person than it does in the photo, but several people have asked it I finished it. It was made with love and I know it will be received with the same even if she does not like it.  I am blessed. I hope you are too.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely scarf! And a lovely wish of blessing. I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very blessed. And I am grateful for that privilege every day. If your piece was made with love, then I believe it will carry that intent through to the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it will. So does this mean you don't like it?

      Delete
  3. Oh, no - I love it! Are you kidding? The colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it a lot! You need a larger, closer up, image !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! However, too late since I have given it away. I will remember this for the future. I think more dyed and felted scarves are in my future. Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.