Monday, January 13, 2014

Altering Papers

I got several emails asking me how I alter paper to use in my collages so over the weekend I played with some of my favorite techniques.

Altering magazine pages is fun and you never fully know what results you will achieve. Remember that the paper needs to be fairly saturated with color and a heavy weight. The first two are from a page torn out of an old National Geographic. The first one I used 100 grit sandpaper on it to remove some of the green. I could now go back with paint if I wanted to change it some more.

The second one (from the same page) was rubbed lightly with Nevr-Dull. I find that dark colors almost always turn a shade of orange. Remember to wear gloves when using Nevr-Dull to protect your hands. I find Nevr-Dull at my local Ace Hardware where they keep polishes. A little goes a long way!

Continuing to play with Nevr-Dull, I placed different papers onto different things with texture then gently rubbed with the Nevr-Dull. I love the textures that can be created by placing the paper over different things-stencils, plastic cross stitch sheets, sequin waste, texture plates, etc.


For the next piece of paper, I simply crumbled it in my hand then rubbed copper fabric paint on a make-up sponge. The paint stuck to the crumbled part but not the paper.

And finally one of my favorites, using old coffee grounds and coffee filters. Coffee grounds are mixed with the polymer medium in its own container. The mixture is brushed on and allowed to dry. Instant gratification!

Hope this answers your questions and helps you jumpstart a new creative journey. If you have any questions, let me know. Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.