Thursday, January 2, 2014

More Weeding and Memories

Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. —William Morris

I'm trying. Last year I spent the first day of the year deep cleaning my studio, this year I spent the day deep cleaning and ruthlessly clearing my office/paper and paint studio. My recycling bin is over-flowing-gone are multiple copies of magazines where I have either published articles or my quilts can be found. Gone are certificates, letters, out dated stuff, etc. To my surprise, I came across this note from Roxanne McElroy. Roxanne wrote this note while we were eating dinner in Sue Bailey's fabulous kitchen in her wonderful bed and breakfast in Bay City, Texas.  This was after a long day of Roxanne teaching a workshop on hand quilting at Sue's quilt shop. Sue had invited me for a visit. Roxanne and I bonded. Every time she would see me, her hug would take me off my feet. She was a tall woman nearly 6 feet tall. I learned to brace myself. When she died in April 1997 at the age of 50, the shock of it left me numb. I still use my Roxanne thimble so I think of her often. She was a kind and funny woman. So for now, the note stays in my filing cabinet.

On a happier note, cleaning out also means that I am going to be giving some blog give-aways soon!  I have no need for two copies of the DVDs Why Quilts Matter: History, Art and Politics or Los hilos de la vida (Threads of Life). I am sure as I finish cleaning and clearing today, I will come across some more things. This feels good! Doing any weeding yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.