Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Things We Do For Love and Balance In Our Lives

How do you say "thank you" for sunshine or health...for clear days or gentle rains...for happiness, joy or love? You say it by sharing what you have. You say it by making the world a better place in which to live. 
-Thomas D. Willhite

I decided to make my friend Carolyn who is going through some tough times a lap quilt for her birthday. She is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and loves patriotic things. I found a panel with images and decided to build a scrap quilt (why have just a little when you can have lots!) around them. Of course, I also decided not to have the blocks be in a straight row. I thought it might be more interesting. I am not sure I will have it done in time (February 27), but I am going to try. The good thing about adults is they don't mind celebrating more than once (having late gifts). For me, it is also important to find that balance between creating something for someone that is certainly not me and something that I can do with love and not feel burdened.

I have also started watching my grandson Tyler on Wednesday afternoons so his mom have a nap/relax. My son is gone from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Wednesdays for law school so she needs a break. I want Tyler and me to be close so I cherish the time I have with him. Friends are worried I'll become a full-time babysitter when Sang returns to work, but I have promised myself that this will not happen. I have waited most of my life to have time to play, explore, push myself artistically and create.  If I do not do it now, it may not ever happen. Balance. Something I have worked on attaining my whole life and I really think I am making progress!

I was feeling a little down over the weekend with lots of thoughts of "why bother" until I read my Sunday horoscope.  It said, "Remember your dreams and go for them. Break through those self-imposed limitations on what you think you're capable of. Increasing your work skills helps. Play full out but within budget." While I don't put much stock in Chicago Tribune's horoscopes, it was a message I needed to hear. Okay, I didn't like the budget part but that's true too! The universe has spoken and I am going to try my best to listen. What is the universe telling you?

4 comments:

  1. The universe is telling me to put down the chocolate, ignore the rain, get off my butt, and make some art! I haven't been listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet picture of you and grandson.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.