Thursday, February 14, 2013

Do you Joomchi?

I first became aware of Joomchi, a traditional Korean paper technique, and Jiyoung Chung's work using the process in 2008. I loved the organic nature of her work. I was a papermaker in one of my past lives.  I tried finding out more about this traditional Korean paper technique but there simply wasn't much out there and certainly no directions on how to make it. I could not afford to travel for one of Jiyoung's workshops so when she shared that she was going to write a book,  I waiting patiently for its release.  I've actually owned Joomchi and Beyond for months. Today I decided to give it a try. Here is my beginning. I can tell you that joomchi takes patience. Jiyoung shares in book, "Stage 1 is the most difficult to agitate as teh papers reist breaking down and bonding, but it gets easier and easier, just like dealing with hardships in life." Guess that is my lesson for the day.

I decided to try "painterly joomchi" and to add to the challenge, I am using handmade Japanese paper, mulberry tissue paper purchased at World Market, unknown fiber content paper and regular tissue paper. I want to see what works and what doesn't. I have no illusions that this will turn out as a masterpiece instead I am embracing the learning process and being excited about trying something new.

I also want to thank my daughter-in-law's father, Mr. Lee, for the incredible gift of Korean mulberry paper (base of my piece) handmade by a master Korean papermaker. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would have this wonderful connection to Korea. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the dried piece to share with you. So on this Valentine's Day, what did you heart desire to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.