Monday, July 30, 2012

The ABCs of Creativity

I made this small quilt (10.5" w x 9.5" h) a while ago when I was feeling stuck (too many ideas). I challenged myself to first simply piece a background then add elements and words (remember my plead to continue to explore typography). I know it would have turned out better had I planned it out but it worked at getting me to relax and create. I also think I will rework the piece and make it work.

It did get me to put together something more on creativity.  I decided to find at least one word for each letter of the alphabet. This turned out to be a fun excercise.

A Abundance, Awareness, Acceptance
B Believing, Building
C Courage, Change, Consideration, Collaboration, Chaos
D Dreams, Discovery
E Effort
F Forgiveness, Friendship, Fear
G Giving, Gifts
H Healing, Health
I Initiative, Imagination
J Joy
K Knowledge
L Love, Life, Loss, Lessons
M Mindfulness, Motivation
N Next
O Openness, Outside, Opportunities, Order
P Possibilities, Passion, Practice, Process
Q Quality, Quirkiness
R Respect, Riches
S Simplicity, Success
T Travel, Time
U Uniqueness, Understanding
V Value, Vulnerability, Vibrant,Views
W Worldliness, Wide Open, Wild
X Xerophyte
Y You
Z Zest

I can see some running for the dictionary and others smiling at my use of xerophyte which is a plant able to grow in very dry conditions. As artist we have to be able to grow even when the desire to be creative leaves us. I am also sure other words will come to mind and I'll add to it. Tomorrow I will share my ABCs of things we need to be aware. I am not going to call them things to avoid. Stay tuned. Feel free to add to the list!




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are starting out on a new journey, a new direction, maybe a new series or a new color palette. Keep exploring what sounds exciting to you...it can only bring you happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I really thought of this as a new journey, new direction until you mentioned it. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Karen, I am not sure why you want to rework it. The color scheme pulls all the elements together. Maybe that it is a little empty on the top left? but it works because it expresses a mood of being stuck and not being perfect. it is very striking to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thanks for your kind words. Hugs, karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.