Friday, July 13, 2012

ad astra per alia porci

My youngest son loved Latin in high school which made me more aware of Latin. Isn't it funny how once your eyes are opened to something you see it everywhere? John Steinbeck had a favorite saying, "As astra per alia porci." Translated it means "To the stars on the wings of a pig," or very loosely, "Aim for the heavens, though your equipment be meager." I am bringing this up because of a few emails I received concerning my creativity list. Sometimes having the right equipment/supplies can make all the difference in the world. That said, I have seen amazing pieces of art created with materials at hand. This has happened over and over again when I have taught overseas.  The photo is of fabric created in Tbilisi, Georgia, using very limited supplies--a few bottles of fabric paint, a few stamps and some paint brushes. Don't let not having what you think you need stop you from creating.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Now how to really convince people? Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Latin's incorrect. It should be "ad astra per alas porci." Your version says something like "to the starts through other things of a pig."

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.