Friday, August 2, 2013

It's a Go Figure

I was fortunate to live on the island of Aruba for three years in the mid'80s. The island was full of goats. I have always loved bones and skulls and secretly hoped I would come across a goat skull as a souvenir. As the date to leave got closer and closer, I gave up hope. Then two days before our things were to be packed up for shipping back to the States, I was climbing on some rocks and there was the carcass of a young goat who had broken its leg. I was filled with both sadness and glee. My husband could not believe when I quickly snatched it up, along with a few other bones and rolled it into the bottom of my shirt.

I was looking around for inspiration when I remembered the goat skull and decided to use it as a stepping off place for a mask. It turned out much better than I had anticipated but I never thought I would get the response it when I brought in the finished mask. Five people said that they wanted one! Jeff was the most impressed and asked how much I would charge. I asked if he was willing to trade because I love the things Jeff makes and his curmudgeonly ways. Having a piece of his work would be a wonderful reminder of him.

I am going to digress here for a moment and share the International Society of Curmudgeons' definition of a curmudgeon to give you a better idea of what Jeff is like:

A curmudgeon often has a black sense of humor. They don't just complain about things, they do it with flair, style, panache, satire, and a sardonic view of life! That's what makes them memorable. They also, deep down (very deep down), believe that by saying something about it, life will change. Saying even more about it will hopefully make life change faster and sooner.

Jeff brought in several pieces of his artwork for me to choose and I selected this wonderful turquoise pot which sits on a table in my family room. Jeff felt he got the better of the deal and I thought I got the better of the deal. Who could ask for anything more! Of course, I am still trying to figure out why my goat skull mask was such a hit. When I asked people they just said that it was "different" and "cool." Since many of them watched me create the mask while having the skull in front of me might have contributed. I guess I will never really know and no, I am not making more goat masks.

Your thoughts on why so many fell in love?

This is also my contribution to Off the Wall Fridays.





5 comments:

  1. The mask hits, imho, something primeval that is deep down in our natures - it's mysterious and slightly menacing, it has elements of "old Nick"... putting it on would make a person behave in unexpected ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, You have given me a lot of food for thought. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love masks (thanks to you) and think the goat mask could be part of some tribal ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love masks (thanks to you). The goat mask must be part of some tribal ritual somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.