Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sharing More Information

Wow!  Thanks to everyone who has emailed me with questions. I will try to do better next time.

Sacred Threads is an exhibition of quilts exploring the subject themes of spirituality, joy, inspiration, peace/brotherhood, grief and healing. This biennial exhibition was established to provide a safe venue for quilters of all faiths who see their work as a connection to the sacred and/or as an expression of their spiritual journey.

Beyond the Barrier was the name of the special exhibit at Sacred Threads that some women at the Ohio Reformatory for Women participated.

I encourage you to visit both sites to learn more and see all the quilts.

I was very committed to having Quilters' S.O.S. - Save Our Stories, an oral history project of the Alliance for American Quilts, reflect the entire quilt community which is why I traveled to the Ohio Reformatory for Women to document the quiltmaking that occurred there. I was able to document 6 of the quiltmakers (Tangie Thomas was no longer at ORW so I went to Franklin Pre-Release Center to interview her) and Chaplain Jamie Burns. You can read all 7 interviews in the Ohio Reformatory for Women Q.S.O.S. project. I have corresponded with all the women and have gotten quite close to three of them.

I have pitched another exhibition idea to the ORW and hopefully will have news by the middle of the week. I believe strongly that one way to help recidivism is to provide opportunities for self expression which increases self-esteem. I believe in that making quilts can be life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.