Monday, June 22, 2009

Detail of "Journey"



Here is a detail shot of my newest quilt. I'm calling it "Journey" for many reasons. First the piece of fabric was given to me by my friend Elizabeth Cherry Owen who lives in Maine. For me, it is not so much about the end product, or the destination that is important to me. Rather, it is the process, rich with the unexpected that excites me. I did not plan what I was going to do. I simply let the piece and memories speak to me. The portals were inspired by a monastery that was carved into a mountain in Georgia in 1185. The monastery was constructed as protection from the Mongols and at one time more than 6,000 "apartments" in a 13 story complex. An earthquake destroyed 2/3 of the city in 1283. An amazing place to visit.

Anyway, it is all hand stitched using pearl cotton. I want to explore more handwork like this. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love all the hand stitching, Karen, what amazing texture you've added. I also like the story behind the piece; I'm drawn to portals as well. Looking forward to seeing the work in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Thanks so much. I'm really into texture lately in a big way. I'm also finding the hand stitching to be extremely relaxing. Now I'm buying lots of pearl cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved the combination of black, red and white (or silver...). I really enjoy it and I certainly understand the sentiment about the journey....Sometimes it is hard to just "go" and sometimes when I work I don't even think, it's like someone else is placing it...but I agree, many (if not most) times the process is what is important!

    How you're doing this and working with the women is just wonderful! I'm having trouble keeping balls in the air, and this is just great to see someone who is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also into pearle cotton and/or beads for texture. The meditative part of hand work makes me happy. I live with cats but no one else, so I can work on the couch and listen to music or have something on TV that doesn't require my full attention and hand quilt with pearle cotton, sew beads on a quilt, or embroidery.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.