Friday, November 9, 2012

How Do You Open Yourself to Inspiration?

"Reflect" ATCs
Recently changes have been made in a couple of the groups I am in that do trades. One now as a rule that if you miss the deadline but still get your work out before the next trade deadline you can only sign up for one group. Another group does not even assign the people for trades until proof that that work is done. This saddens me. Deadlines use to be such great motivators. Commitments were not always kept but those people generally did not stick around.

So, how do you open yourself to inspiration? Without inspiration work either does not get done or becomes stagnant. Do you find yourself at a loss of ideas?

Many years ago I decided to simplify my life. This is still an ongoing process and I suspect will be one that I struggle with for the rest of my life. It is getting easier. I can now say, "No," to people and things that don't support me and what I want to accomplish in my life. I limit my time on the Internet. I don't answer the phone if I'm creating. I seldom have my cell phone on when I am out. I want to be present both in my work and with the people in my life. I love taking hot baths, often reading until the water begins to turn cold. I get great ideas while in the tub and surprisingly while mowing the lawn.

Rita Mae Brown is one of my favorite writers. She says, "Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work." And of course there is my favorite Pablo Picasso quote, "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."

Belonging and participating in online exchange groups has been so amazingly beneficial to me. I've been exposed to some incredible artists Excitement from the new challenges causes me to instantly jump in and start creating. Getting commitments off my plate early insures that I create things that I am proud of sharing.

Okay, I don't want to forget to share something about my "Reflect" ATCs. This month's theme for Arts in the Cards is the color "Lake." I love playing with watercolors and playing is exactly what I do. I have little desire to become a true watercolor artist. I just like making backgrounds and seeing what I can do. What I discovered was I could copy the backgrounds, print them on presentation paper which makes them a little shiny, cut them up and still save my favorite pieces! For these cards, I also used embossing plates (thank you Marie Z. Johansen for turning me one to these) and I created my own rub-on transfers to add the word "Reflect." I love rub-on transfers and am so thankful to Grafix in Maples Heights, Ohio, for making it possible.

Now go and create!




3 comments:

  1. Simplifying my life -- learning to say no -- yielding to the need to create -- gathering energy from the challenges of others -- savoring shared quotations . . . we've never met, but we share a great deal!

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.