Tuesday, September 20, 2011

War and Peace by Jeanne Marklin


Jeanne Marklin is a member of Fiber Artist for Hope. This is her quilt War and Peace. "It was started in 2007, and I was still adding things in 2010! It is 49.5" height, 29.4" width. The fabrics are hand dyes from Heide Stoll-Weber and Ricky Tims, commercial fabrics, and tulle. The silvery gingko leaves are fabric paints. Machine pieced and quilted. Exhibited at Sacred Threads exhibit 2011 in Virginia." It was too large to fit into the 9/11 exhibition so I'm sharing it here. It is my hope that now that the 10th anniversary is over that we simply won't just move on. I so agree with Tom Brokaw when he said that:
  • We need to be more effective in promoting the American ideal without using guns and drones.
  • We need to listen to each other more and shout less.
  • We cannot keep our place as the greatest nation on earth if we are self-absorbed, deeply divided people too quick to forget the unity that prevailed immediately after 9/11.
On a personal note, I think today I finished the proofing (no fun) of my book, Quilts in the Attic, that will be out in January 2012. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I danced around the block and got caught by one of my neighbors. When I explained why I was so happy (besides the sun shining and the weather being in the mid-70s), she joined me. She's in her late 70s/early 80s and loves doing crazy things with me. "What will people think?" Me, "Who cares?" Her, "So true." Everyone should be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.