Friday, September 9, 2011

Tote Bag Next Steps

Once the sewing is done and you have squared up your pieces, measure and cut your lining the same size.

Next, it's time to cut some notches so that the bag has a bottom. I cut 1 3/4 inch notches. Sew the sides and bottom of the bag. I sew these 1/2 inch and have to remind myself because I'm so use to 1/4 inch seams with quiltmaking.

Do the same for the lining EXCEPT you're going to leave a 6 inches opening on the bottom so when you sew everything together you can easily turn it inside out. You can simply sew the opening closed with your sewing machine once it is turned.

With right sides together and matching the seams, sew the notches to create the bottom of your bag. Again remembering to sew a 1/2 inch seam.










I love pockets so I always make sure the bags I make have at least one. When I started I did not line the pockets and quickly learned that lining them was worth the time and effort. Remember to place you pocket lower that the time of your lining or you might sew your pocket shut! You can add a zipper to your pocket if you like or add a button closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.