Friday, February 14, 2014

Secrets One

Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination or forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. - August Wilson

I marvel at how the universe can sometimes make it impossible for you to look away. That is my reality. My dad is dying and not in a nice way but slow and painful way. My friend, Ken Maloney, has asked me to join him in a show at ClaySpace that focuses on where we grew up. So to deal with all the issues/demons, I am making art. I decided to do a series of alters which I am calling "Secrets." This one is "Secrets One: The Adopted Grandmother." The alters are made from clay and the contents are from different people in my life growing up. Now that I have finished the first one based on my adopted grandma Rachel, I am anxious to continue. The healing has hopefully began.

1 comment:

  1. I really like them, and also think their are of great power and healing for you. Keep doing them, as Julia Cameron said, in one of my favorites quotes:
    -art brings things to light, it illuminates us, it sheds light in our lingering darkness...arts opens the closets, airs out the cellars and attics. it brings healing. but before a wound can heal it must be seen, and this act of exposing the wound to air and light, the artist's act, if often reacted to with shaming-

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.