Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quilts in the Attic

Today is the official publication date of my book, Quilts in the Attic: Uncovering the Hidden Stories of the Quilts We Love, which is funny because it has already sold more than 1,000 copies. The publisher says this is "great!" You can purchase an autographed copy from me or purchase it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

The book is not just about "old" quilts.  I have always been passionate about showing people that quilts are much bigger than you think. I want the book to have surprises and most of the stories have details that have never been known.

In the official press release, I wrote:

"For generations, quilts have preserved history and furthered artistic expression. They have changed lives.  Quilts in the Attic showcases 30 stories of great quilt discoveries, including masterpiece quilts, great finds and family heirlooms. The chapters reflect on various topics, ranging from Jewish life in the 1850s and a slave named Rinah, to the Sears National Quilt Contest in 1933, to a twelfth-century castle in France, to the 1800s in England and “Joe the Quilter,” to a society of women who vowed never to marry.  Though the makers of the quilts probably did not set out to touch our feelings, longings and lives, there is something universal in their experience. The stories shared are both heartwarming and awe-inspiring."

One of the things that I really love about this book is the surprise that you get when you open the book and see that each essay has its own colored paper. Wish I could take credit for this, but I can't. It was a wonderful discovery for me when I received my advance copy.

The size is often a surprise to people it's just a little more than 5" by 7" by 1". There's not cover jacket to mess with either.

Over the next few weeks I will be sharing things that were cut from the book or things that there simply wasn't room to share. I hope this will inspire you to want to read the stories and give you even more understanding of just how great quilts and their makers can be!




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the release, and best wishes for much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just having it published is enough for me. Everything else is icing on the cake! Hugs, Karen

      Delete
  2. Better to be published ahead of time than behind, right? Thanks for including my story :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I love your story! Actually the original publication date was suppose to be 1/15 but cover design slowed things down (it started with a jacket cover)so I guess I can say that it was on time. Hugs, Karen

      Delete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.