Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day and Foto/Fiber

Happy Valentine's Day! I had really hoped to have this sweet quilt done by this Valentine's Day, however, it didn't happen. Maybe by next year. February 14 was originally a Roman feast day celebrating the beginning of the mating season of birds (hence the association with love).

I must admit that I am in a little bit of a panic. My sewing machine is acting up. It has developed a clunking noise and occasionally turns itself off. I cannot image myself at this point in time without a machine. I tried oiling it. No luck. Think I will try denial just a little longer. Isn't that a river in Egypt?

Don't forget that Foto/Fiber begins tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Central.  The goal is to add $7,000 to the $215,000 already donated to the American Cancer Society. There are 4 ways to win with this fundraiser - one of which is that 100% of the funds are donated directly to the American Cancer Society through Fiberart For A Cause. The other three are detailed on Virginia Spiegel's blog. If you want a jump on how things will work tomorrow, please check out http://www.virginiaspiegel.com/FotoFiber2012Directions.html. I still can't decide which photo I want! How about you?

Here is another on of my donated BONUSES. These are two pieces of Georgian silk (country not state) that are 9" by 36". Georgia was on the Silk Road and once produced wonderful silk. You will be amazed at the hand. Unfortunately, they no longer produce any silk. I purchased this silk in the open air market in Tbilisi (capital of Georgia). The employees were paid in silk at the closing of the production sites and sold to make money for their families. I never purchased any all white silk because I knew how rare and important it was to the batik artists in Georgia. I'm also including an embroider bracelet made by nuns to support their efforts to help unwed mothers (young girls) and run a hospice for the poor. Of course, it will all be in a box like the one I shared yesterday.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.