Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wordless Wednesday- With Update




Okay, I know it is suppose to be wordless, but I was so hoping someone could tell me the story behind this church. It is the former "Lutherische Kirche" (written on the building) which in German means "Lutheran Church." It is on the corner of W. 19th St and S. Peoria in Chicago (Pilsen neighborhood). 

Sandy Snowden has spurred me on to do further research.  I have learned that Peoria used to be Johnson. Records for the church are available at the Newberry until the early 1940s so Sandy's thought that it might have burned during the Great Chicago Fire (it was on the edge) did not pan out.
It was part of the Missouri Synod so I've emailed them to see if they know. I sure hope so because I want to know what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.