Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Memorable Days

Today I worked, shoveled while marveling at the winter wonderland surrounding me, and voted. Voting made me think of the first time I voted. I was so nervous and excited. I remembered voting in New Jersey when my first born was less than two months old and the silly debate that occurred about whether or not I could take him into the booth with me. I do remember the sound the curtains made when I closed them. I miss curtains. I hate the tacky cardboard booths of today. Anyway, I was thinking, 'What makes a day memorable?' I'm terrible about dates. I do remember moments like voting, my first heartbreak, birth of my children, etc.

Today is not a good day for my friend Stephen. Today was the memorial service for Stephen's 18 year old brother who died in his dorm room. Cause has yet to be determined. I grieve particularly for his mother because I am one. Parents are not suppose to outlive their children.A day I would not wish for anyone.

I find I am content with calm and quiet days working. No more need for drama here.  I count my blessing every evening before going to sleep. Something that I have done for more than 30 years. I love my inexhaustible fountain of ideas.  I am never bored. Even my cleaning has unearthed lost treasures that are now being used. Life is good even while I hunger for spring, contemplate the meaning of days and send warm and loving thoughts to my friend Stephen and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.