Monday, December 7, 2009

How to Spot an Artist

My neighbor was walking her dog and stopped me on the way to my mailbox. She wanted to know if I was an artist. I said, "yes" even though sometimes I struggle with the idea. Her quick reply was "I thought so."  When I asked her how she knew, she just replied, "It was easy to see." I was cold ) no coat and her dog was impatient to continue walking so further conversation didn't happen but it has gotten me thinking. Painter Mary Todd Beam has a list. An artist:

  • Knows whare she keeps her her muse.
  • Knows how to play and take risks.
  • Searches for meaning through universal experiences.
  • Senses the "flow" and runs with it.
  • Defines herself though her work.
  • Works toward a goal.
Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. to the last point I'd like to add "...without knowing it".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she will elaborate another time.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.