Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interpreting Vladimir Cora

Bather 28 by Vladimir Cora
I miss my Saturdays with Las puntadas del alma/Stitches of the Soul. It was a wonderful experience being able to teach at a museum (National Museum of Mexican Art) that I loved. I never imaged it would last three years. In our last session, the group selected a piece from the museum's permanent collection and to interpret, not recreate, that chosen work of art. I encouraged the women to push beyond their comfort zones and choose something abstract or at least something different.

Soco choose Vladimir Cora's Bather 28 created in 1988.  Cora was born in Nayarit, Mexico in 1951. He is self-taught and was able to build a reputation as a formidable painter is his late teens. He knew he wanted to be a painter after seeing a print of Monet's Water Lilies in his aunt's pharmacy where he worked when he was thirteen. Cora was named after Vladimir Lenin by his father, a saddle maker and avid follower of politics. Cora met Rufino Tamayo in 1978 and remained his student until the mentor died in 1991. In Mexico, Cora is a highly regarded established artist. He lives and works in Santa Ana, California.  (Source: Pigment of Imagination by Vivian Letran, Los Angeles Times Magazine, December 21, 2000) 

Socorro Carlos
I was proud of Soco for choosing this painting. She also kept her piece small so she was able to finish by the end of class (another goal with the group). I hope you agree with me that she did an excellent job!

The part I loved was researching and learning about the artists the women choose. Also don't you just love the hot pink walls of the modern section in the museum? It is one of the many things I love about this museum.


2 comments:

  1. The wall color is exiting indeed. What a great job this must have been. Hope something just as good will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva, I do believe good things will follow. They always have for me. As for the group, a few are continuing to meet. Hopefully all will continue to be creative. I do keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.