Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hearts for Christchurch Follow Up

I hate when something important to me gets lost in the craziness of life. This is what happened with Hearts for Christchurch project. The opening was September 2. I wish I could have been there so looking at photographs will have to do. Los puntadas del alma/Stitches of the Soul (my group at teh National Museum of Mexican Art) and I donated hearts to victims of the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand. You can see their hearts in my April 2 post. Together we sent 49 hearts.

Hearts for Christchurch showcases an amazing array of more than 4,000 hearts from around the world. The project is the inspiration of my friend, Evie Harris, who started creating and gathering the hearts after the February earthquake. She grew up there. Word got out about the project and soon hearts started arriving from all over New Zealand and the world. The hearts are on display at Canterbury Museum until February 22, 2012 (the anniversary of the earthquake).  You can see the incredible display and find out more about the project on Evie’s blog. You won't be disappointed. Is it important to you to donate to causes?

2 comments:

  1. I sent hearts to Christ Church project also. It was a good feeling to stop other projects and work on something that would bring smiles to others at a time when smiles are so needed. Evie Harris is also a friend of mine from Postmark'd Art postcard yahoo group. And I was happy to donate the time and send hearts.
    At the time of the request they were not sure what they would do with them, and now they have this wonderful display at the Cantebury Museum, letting New Zealand know that others care and wish them blessings.
    Donating is a way of sharing, not all can donate money, but there are other ways of saying you care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, Have you been able to find your hearts in any of the photos? You are wonderful! Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.