Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fiber Art Now

I received my much anticipated new quarterly magazine Fiber Art Now which grew out of Marcia Young's (the editor) online Valley Fiber Life. Subscriptions in the U.S. are $40.00 and the retail price per issue is $14.00. Because I was familiar with Valley Fiber Life and because I want a good fiber magazine, I thought it was worth the risk of subscribing blind. I think it's a great start and I'm hopeful that as the magazine matures it will become a great resource. It does remind me how much I miss the old days of FiberArts magazine. I enjoyed Viewpoints which asks "my peers" a question. The questions posed in this issue was "Do you collect anything? Does your collection influence what you create?" Book recommendations are from her Advisory Board. No descriptions or price is given. I enjoyed the First Person articles where the artists discuss their process. There are lots of photos. the international Calls of Entry was interesting even though for many the deadline had passed.  I enjoyed learning about contemporary rug hooking. I wanted to have more than just a few photographs of the Wrapping Traditions: Korean Textiles Now exhibition and hope that there will be a focus on what is going on in the rest of the world. I was left a little wanting and look forward to the next publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.