Thursday, December 14, 2017

Putting Stretch Marks on My Comfort Zone!

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. - Neale Donald Walsch

Yesterday as I removed the cover on my yogurt the message was "Think big. Dream big." It made me smile. Last month I decided it was once again time to do something that scared me so I applied for an artist residency with A.I.R. Studio in Paducah, Kentucky. It was my understanding that acceptance was heavily placed on artwork and project. Only four people knew that I had applied (three were my references and Cathy Neri, who had pushed me to apply). I spent a lot of time telling myself that it would not be the end of the world if I did not get accepted. When the email arrived, it took me an hour to get the courage to open it. The message started out by thanking me for applying and ended with my acceptance! While I did not get my first choice for time (May), I did get my second choice (September 2 - 15). I will have lots of time to put together a plan to maximize my time in Paducah. The mission is to add to and fully complete a body of work that explores loss, memory and the things we leave behind when we die. While I always begin each year optimistic, 2018 is already looking pretty good to me. It is my hope that it will be the same for you. 

4 comments:

  1. How the things we leave behind impact the people we leave behind? Congratulations and good wishes for your 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share some work in progress so you will better understand. One is a piece using my great aunt’s student nurse apron. She dropped out of nursing school one month before graduation. She got a job at the State Department that she held for 64 years. Why did she keep the apron and why did my mother keep it. Helpful?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Wow! that is exciting for you.I am hoping that you will share some of your progress on that work with the rest of us as it takes shape. What a great way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.