Sunday, November 13, 2016

Michelle Owens Free At Last

More than seven years ago, I drove to Maryville, Ohio, to interview quiltmakers for Quilters' S.O.S. - Save Our Stories, an oral history project, in the Ohio Reformatory for Women. The women had made quilts for a special exhibit for Sacred Threads called Beyond the Barrier. This is where I met Michelle. To be honest, I did not feel a strong connection to Michelle when we met, not like I did with some of the other women. And yet, I have the closest relationship with Michelle.  I have watched her grow, work hard and become self aware. Michelle was 35 years old when she entered prison and it is now more than 12 years later. Tomorrow she will be released after serving her full sentence. She will be facing lots of challenges. Her mother is suffering from dementia. She will need to get a job, but will not have a car, etc. She hopes to knit for homeless and children in need. She truly has a good heart and knows that she made some bad decisions including the man she married and hopes to divorce soon. He did the crime, made a deal and got out early, but that isn't what I want to concentrate on here. It does explain her new last name. I hope you will join me in helping Michelle feel supported and encouraged by sending her a card and/or a fat quarter, etc. Thanks!

Michelle Krajcovic
874 Triplett Blvd.
Akron, OH 44306

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.