Friday, June 13, 2014

It's About Time

I inherited a lot of the family things that no one else wanted- a box of old photos, button jars, etc. I have had some things for years and other things more recently before my dad died. My children never knew these people and I know that they would not care to keep these things so I decided to create some altars/shrines using the things that I have inherited. The actual altars were created out of clay then I painted them (instead of glazing) to give them a worn look. At my show at ClaySpace Ceramic Arts Center, I met ceramic artist Gina Lee Robbins who creates incredible organic sculptures. When Gina contacted me about the Oak Park Art League's show It's About Time, I was deeply touched. Her comment that my altars were perfect for the show and that the community was filled with "wonderful, caring artists," convinced me to give it a try. However, I had to push through some fear to actually wall through the door. The welcome I got nearly made me cry. The executive director raved about my work, called it "perfect" for the theme and wants to showcase my work. Wow! I cannot wait to go to the opening tonight. A new adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, congratulations! the shrine is a wondeful idea and it was an interesting twist to paint the clay. So, solo show of your clay works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of things dear to you. Congratulations on doing the work and now having an opportunity to share it in your community!

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.