Thursday, July 7, 2011

Prayer Flag-Time

I have always loved poetry and Naomi Shihab Nye is one of my favorite poets. I can thank my husband Tom for this as he was the one who gave me a couple of her books as a gift. What I love about Naomi is her poems deal with everyday things. I thought this poem worked well with my fourteenth (still can't believe it has been two weeks) Prayer Flag which deals with time. This time I used paper because the lady on the moon rubberstamp did not work well on paper. It also uses a piece of fabric that I have held on to for a number of years. It's one of those pieces that you always wish you had more. It feels so good to be using up these little bits of treasures and putting good vibes out into the world.

I am also celebrating today that the second round of edits to my book are done! Rejoice!

Walk like a leaf!


The Art of Disappearing. 
by Naomi Shihab Nye 


When they say Don't I know you? say no.
When they invite you to the party
remember what parties are like
before answering.
Someone telling you in a loud voice
they once wrote a poem.
Greasy sausage balls on a paper plate.
Then reply.
If they say we should get together.
say why? It's not that you don't love them any more.
You're trying to remember something
too important to forget.
Trees.
The monastery bell at twilight.
Tell them you have a new project.
It will never be finished. When someone recognizes you in a grocery store
nod briefly and become a cabbage.
When someone you haven't seen in ten years
appears at the door,
don't start singing him all your new songs.
You will never catch up.
Walk around feeling like a leaf. Know you could tumble any second. Then decide what to do with your time.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this idea of a prayer flag. I have, for many years now, written my prayers down. Even started a prayer wall for our Sunday School kids where they could write prayers and stick them up on a large board...been wanting to do something with fabric... Thank you for these.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome. When you make your Prayer Flags, please let me know. Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Love comments! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.